Monday, June 16, 2014

Memories Altering Reality

Memories can produce very powerful hallucinations. The first time I experienced this was after I moved from the home I lived in for the past 15 years. Unbeknownst to me while I was away at work my wife hung up the old curtains. When I returned home as soon as I walked into the house one of my eyes caught a glimpse of the curtains. This was the first time I had ever experienced a memory strong enough to change my perception of reality, for that brief moment I was standing back in my old home. I even visualized the view out the window. Strong memories can create an altered reality that can take you to a time and place where you relive that moment.

The second time this happened was four years later I had moved again, this time I shared a house with my wifes sisters family. Most of my belongings was in storage. I walked in the door and my wifes sister hung up a landscape painting the usual mountains, and forest. It caught my eye I turned to look at it I realized, that I was reliving a memory. A memory of a landscape painting that I knew was in storage, but this time I was prepared I knew my painting was signed on the bottom right corner, I look and the painters name was there Wilson. You can imagine my confusion how did that painting get here? I examined the painting therally turned and walked down the hall and asked my wife how did the Wilson end up on the wall down the hall. She said that wasn't the Wilson. I disagreed and went back down the hall and looked again, and sure enough it wasn't. Right then I reaffirmed that I was viewing a memory. It was as real as if I was looking at the original from the name to the color of the mountain and the custom frame I had made for it.    

These experiences gave me valuable insight. The stories I've heard about seeing loved ones would be as real to them as their memory allows. When a memory of where they would expect to see them, and they are there, would rattle anyone. The majority of reports of people who have seen an apparition may instead be experiencing strong memories that may of been triggered by something familiar in their lives.   


No comments:

Post a Comment